Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sugars, Needles, and Lab Tests

Come Monday April 2 it was time for my dreaded gestational diabetes test.  The normal routine that I had read about online was to show up for your test, drink an orange flavored glucose drink, wait an hour, get your blood drawn, then go home and wait for your results.  If you passed the test you were done, if not you had to repeat the test - only do it for 3 hours!  Needless to say I was a bit nervous, but especially wanted the test over with.

I didn't have to do it on a specific day since m y doctor just ordered me some labs and I could do it any time.  I chose to do it this day since I didn't have work or anything.  I got to the hospital and the whole thing went down basically like I had read about.  I got there and they wanted a urine sample.  When I finished that I met the lab tech at a cooler and she pulled out an orange drink.  She poured it into a glass, told me I had 5 minutes to drink it, and she was going to set a timer for an hour for me so she would know when to call me back.

The drink was not as bad as I thought it would be.  And it REALLY helped that it was very very cold.  I love cold drinks.  It was just like drinking a flat orange soda.  Although towards the end I realized I wasn't drinking it fast enough and had to gulp it.  That's when you could taste how sugary it was.  I finished in my time limit and was on to sitting in the waiting room for an hour.  I was very glad I had my nice phone and I also brought my NOOK.  But by the time I was going to read, an ADORABLE little 18 month old was there with his dad and was so cute and talking to me.  The hour went by pretty fast :)  Then she called me back and the worst part started.  I have the worst veins for drawing blood.  Long story short I had 4 different nurses, 9 different sticks, a dizzy spell, and a baby kicking up in my ribs.  I was VERY uncomfortable.  Thank God I gave the last lady permission to take out of my forearm, even though it hurts like crazy, I needed it over.

After the worst blood draw in history, I had to run up to see my doctor's nurse really quickly to get my RhoGam shot.  I had one of these before during my previous miscarriage so I knew the drill.  I got the card for my wallet, she drew up the shot, and put it in my right hip.  Didn't hurt NEARLY as bad as my blood draw from downstairs.  She got all my stuff done fast and I was out of there for  lunch with Mark!

I had never needed food so badly.  You can't eat for a few hours before the test and it was so sugary that I was starving by this point.  Mark let me pick where to go and Wendy's it was.  Meat and salty things never tasted so good in my life!

The nurse called me the next day and said I passed my diabetes test so that was a huge relief!  She also said I would be getting all my lab results in the mail later that week.  I received them on Friday in the mail and I passed with flying colors.  But also they check your iron and there was a letter attached from my doctor saying I have mild anemia and needed to start an iron supplement that I could purchase over the counter or she would get me a prescription.  Thankfully Mark and I had some errands to run that evening so while we were at Wal Mart we picked up some iron pills.  So far I have no side effects from them so that's awesome!

I'm so glad that everything worked out and that both me and baby continue to be healthy, strong, and growing on track.  We are really and truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment